Thursday, June 18, 2009

Making Leis and Inspiring Goals

On our recent Maui trip, we stopped in Lahaina for a little shoppping. Ok, a lot of shopping. (I got a few glares walking to my seat on the plane with my antique Chinese bench... but it wouldn't fit in my suitcase.) In front of an art gallery, we spotted these ladies, busily stringing tropical flowers on string like stringing cranberries and popcorn at Christmas time.


They gathered plumeria, tuberose, and other flowers (which they told me their names but I've long since forgot) from their yards and neighbors'. They were selling the leis to raise funds for the local high school. Prices ranged from $6 - $10 (!). They were stunning. And smelled to high heaven. (That is the saying you use when something smells wonderful, huh?)



Here's the birthday girl in her lei. My sister.



I struck up a conversation with the woman on the far right below. She fishes off Maui. She fishes in Alaska. Her last catch was a 66 pound tuna. She's going back in August. Her goal is to catch a 100 lb tuna.

No comments:

you might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...